Friday 19 July 2013

Memory quilting: Part 1

time to give new life to some old favourites!
I find that one of the hardest things about watching Sera grow up is parting with some of the clothes that I can remember her looking lovely in, or that she wore on some milestone or other. Kids' clothes get stained however, and there's only so much space in my little loft to keep everything and every season she grows out of more and more and the memories keep building up!

I do tend to give a lot away to other mums with younger daughters, but there are some pieces that I love too much and are too personal to part with.

I did try to do some altering of some clothes which we can still get some use out of like the pink and balloons skirt which I reworked to last longer, but not everything is suitable for that kind of modification, and anyhow, a solution like that is still only temporary.

Beautiful Chevrons - Heather at the Quilt Barn
For a while now I've been kicking around the idea of making a memory quilt with Sera's baby clothes and have finally gotten around to sorting what's really to keep for her for when she's older (or for another baby...?) and what needs to go into the quilt so it can be on display and so that she can cherish it for years to come.


I've never actually quilted before either so have done some research as to what's needed and ordered my tools on line... For now a rotary cutter, cutting mat, and quilting ruler.

Here are some quilts which inspire me... click on the links to visit their sites! I have no clue what kind of design to go for yet, but love the idea of mixing squares and stripes and different colours and patters.

If you're interested in seeing more of my inspiration and collection of tutorials for this project visit and follow my Memory Quilt Board on Pinterest!



Nadine has an etsy shop where you can buy treasures like this one
a gorgeous quilt by Amy Smart over at Diary of a Quilter



No comments :

Post a Comment