Thursday 6 March 2014

Bureaucracy Fun!

I've been in the process of obtaining my Italian citizenship for over 5 yeas now. You may remember this post about how a government official came to my house in November and scared the hell out of me delivering the document requesting I come to their offices to make an appointment. Well, on Monday I went.

At 10am I arrived at a closed frosted glass door and a ticket machine, you know, those red ones for taking a number at the butchers shop? Those. I take a number and try to find out if I'm in the right place. Take a number before you know anything is one of the rules to being a good Italian citizen. I'm in the right place... Good, phase one complete.

At 10:20 I realize that there is a woman unlocking the door to the office from the outside... They haven't even started the day yet! The sign says they're open from 9am (take a number). This means that before my turn arrives there are all the people that have been waiting for over an hour.

But here's my next surprise... The numbers don't mean anything an people just go in random orders... Basically, the most agressive and least scrupulous person goes first. Everyone "just needs some information that will only take one minute" and then remain inside for 15-20 minutes. I try to be all calm and understanding until I realize that sitting calmly and understandingly is putting me at a huge disadvantage. I may not make it to pick sera up at 12:45. I stand. Time to pick up my game.

An hour passes.

I converse with a Sri Lancan woman and Moroccan man, all in our near-perfect Italian we've been waiting for cicitzenship for 16 year collectively (16 years and 6 hours now). I pace. I twiddle my fingers. I watch people who work in this office walking back and forth down the halls, first wih their phones, then a coffee, then laughing with colleagues, then opening and closing doors. They walk so very slowly. I wonder if they're practicing mindfulness meditation.

My turn! Oh wait! No... Your turn (someone is using the numbers).

My turn! I slip inside and close the door behind me. Passed another level! Hooray! Hit save.

The woman asks for the usual docs and stuff I hand her my passport instead of my carta d'identita and wince... Does she accept it? Yes... Phew. Just like Russian roulette.

But in Russian roulette you can be pretty sure what will happen if it all goes wrong. Bureaucracy in Italy is quite another story.

She looks at my passport and at a handwritten note on the paper I gave we (the one from November)... She says 'your name is Jessica Pearl'. Yes, on my birth certificate, yes I confirm. 'But not on your documents' no, not on my documents where I'm just Jessica Herman. Not on my passport or drivers' licence or medical card or social insurance number. No biggie.

Biggie.

'Ok' she says. 'Then we can give citizenship to Jessica Pearl, but you will have to change all of your other documents to match or you'll be two people.'

Whaaaaaatttt?!?! What does THAT mean? They're going to clone me!?! I start to sweat. Here goes.... now I have to try to convince this women not to cancel my 5 year long application while theyt wait for me to legally erase the word 'Pearl' from my canadian birth certificate... or some other insane, arbitrary rule she's about to make up. I have to make a quick move so I nod and say 'ok, um huh, two people. Got it. I'll change all my other documents.'

But, friends and readers, it's not so simple. You see, my name and document numbers are associated wih many things since I've been in Italy. My marriage (Jessica), my house (Jessica), medical records (Jessica) and birth of my daughter (you guessed it Jessica) to name a few. In order to change some of these documents you ahve to go back in time and reapply for them.

For example... a medical card is based on your permesso di soggiorno.... ok, but the permesso is also Jessica... so the permesso is based on my marriage... wait... the marriage is based on marriage certificate and that's also under Jessica not Jessica Pearl so does that mean I have to get married again?

And what about my house? Who owns that if ....

I'm interrupted from my mental gymnastics by the clerk. 'Signora... you only have 6 months to make the declairation! It's too late!' she exclaims. I'm stumped and shocked... six months from November is May, it's now March. Dare I ask? Is May somehow March in Italian burecratic law?

She explains that they only have appointments left for June. How this is an explaination baffles me as it's certainly not my job to know when they have appointments for. I crack a smile... have 5 years of hoop-jumping excersizes come down to this? I shrug my shoulders and sincerely ask her 'now-what?' I'm so exhausted from all this.

'Well, I guess we'll just HAVETO find YOU a spot then.' she says... which I translate as 'Me mentioning the 6 month thing was just another test of your will and really had no significance whatsoever, I just didn't feel like looking through the calendar properly and much prefer to just do the easiest thing possible with every person who walks through the door which is to give them the latest possible appoinment in the calendar.'

She finds a date in the calendar after wasting another 15 minutes explaining to her colleague what happened (for no reason, therby wasting a total of 30 minutes multiplied by however many dozens of people were still waiting outside). Safe again then.

I have no idea what's going to happen in April when I go to give my oath. Presuably something too surreal to anticipate as it always is with this office. I don't even know who is going to become a citizen... Jessica or Jessica Pearl.

Will I change all of my documents? Maybe... maybe not. Maybe I'll just stay two people for the rest of my life. I mean, once you're cloned right? That's got to have some advantages... even burecratically.

--

Sono 5 anni che provo ad ottenere la Cittadinanza Italiana. Ricorda questo post su quando un funzionario del governo è venuto a casa mia con un documento da portare in preffetura? Beh, Lunedi sono andata.

Alle 10:00 sono arrivato a una porta chiusa e una biglietteria automatica, sai, quelli rossi per prendere un numero in macelleria ? Quelli. Prendo un numero e cerco di scoprire se sono nel posto giusto. Prendete un numero prima di sapere nulla è una delle regole per essere un buon cittadino italiano. Sono nel posto giusto ... Bene, la fase A completo .

Alle 10:20 mi rendo conto che c'è una donna che sta sbloccando la porta dell'ufficio da fuori ... Non hanno nemmeno iniziato ancora la giornata! Il cartello dice che sono aperti dalle 09:00 (prendere un numero) . Questo significa che prima del mio turno ci sono tutte le persone che hanno atteso per più di un'ora .

Ma qui è il mio prossimo sorpresa ... I numeri non significano nulla e tutti entrano in ordini casuali ... In sostanza, la persona più aggressivo e meno scrupoloso entra per primo. Tutti dicono "ho solo bisogno di alcune informazioni che non potrà che durare un minuto" e poi rimangono dentro per circa 15-20 minuti. Cerco di essere tutta tranquillità e comprensione fino a quando mi rendo conto che essendo calma e comprensivo mi sta mettendo in un enorme svantaggio. Mi alzo. È ora di mettermi in gioco.

Un'ora passa.

Parlo con una donna dello Sri Lanca e un uomo marocchino, tutti con nostro quasi perfetto italiano. Stiamo aspettandola citadinanza per 16 anni se c metti tutti insieme (16 anni e 6 ore ora).

Passo avanti e indietro. Giro le dita. Guardo le persone che lavorano in questo ufficio che cammina avanti e indietro per i corridoi, in primo luogo colpa del loro telefoni, poi un caffè, poi a ridere con i colleghi, poi aprendo e chiudendo le porte. Essi camminano molto lentamente . Mi chiedo se stanno praticando la meditazione di consapevolezza .

Il mio turno! Oh aspettare! No. .. il tuo turno (qualcuno sta usando i numeri ) .

Il mio turno! Mi infilo dentro e chiudo la porta dietro di me . Passato un altro livello ! Evviva ! Sciaccia risparmiare.

La donna chiede per i soliti documenti e porgo il mio passaporto al posto della mia Carta d' identita e tengo il fiato ... Se lei accettarlo? Sì. ... Uff . Proprio come la roulette russa .

Ma in roulette russa si può essere abbastanza sicuri di cosa accadrà se tutto va storto. La burocrazia in Italia è tutta un'altra storia .

Lei guarda il mio passaporto e ad una nota scritta a mano sulla carta ho dato noi (quello da novembre ) ... Dice ' il tuo nome è Jessica Pearl ' . Sì , il mio certificato di nascita , sì, confermo . ' Ma non sui documenti ' no, non sui miei documenti in cui io sono solo Jessica Herman . Non sul mio passaporto o driver ' licenza o tessera sanitaria o il numero di assicurazione sociale. Nessuna grossa delusione.

Grossa delusione invece.

' Ok' , dice . ' Allora possiamo dare la cittadinanza a Jessica Pearl , ma si devono cambiare tutti i vostri altri documenti per abbinare o sarete due persone. '

Whaaaaaatttt?!?! Che cosa vuol dire? Mi duplicano!?! Comincio a sudare. Ora devo cercare di convincere queste donne a non annullare la mia domanda lungo cinque anni , mentre loro aspettanoche cancello la parola 'Pearl' dal mio certificato di nascita canadese ... o qualche altro folle, arbitraria regola che sta per inventare.

Devo fare una mossa veloce, quindi io annuisco e dico ' ok , um eh , due persone . Capito . Cambierò tutti i miei altri documenti. '

Ma , amici e lettori , non è così semplice . Vedete , il mio nome e il numero del documento sono associate wih molte cose da quando sono in Italia . Il mio matrimonio ( Jessica ) , la mia casa ( Jessica ) , cartelle cliniche ( Jessica ) e nascita di mia figlia ( avete indovinato Jessica ) per citarne alcuni. Anche la codice Fiscale. Al fine di modificare alcuni di questi documenti è di andare indietro nel tempo e riapplicare per loro. E non ho una macchina del tempo immagino che costano tanto.

Per esempio ... una scheda medica si basa sul permesso di soggiorno .... ok , ma del permesso è anche Jessica ... quindi del permesso si basa sul mio matrimonio ... Attendere ... il matrimonio si basa sulla certificato di matrimonio e questo è anche sotto Jessica non Jessica Pearl così vuol dire che devo ottenere ancora sposato ?

E per quanto riguarda la mia casa ? Chi è il proprietario che se ....

Sto interrotto dai miei ginnastica mentale dal cancelliere . 'Signora ... hai solo sei mesi per rendere il declairation! E 'troppo tardi!' esclama . Sono sconcertato e sconvolto ... sei mesi da novembre è maggio , è marzo... la signora è confusa?

Spiega che hanno solo appuntamenti a giugno. Come questa puo essere unaspiegazione mi lascia perplesso in quanto non è certamente il mio lavoro sapere quando hanno appuntamenti.Alzo le spalle e sinceramente le chiedo 'e allora?' Sono così esausto da tutto questo... e ridicolo.

'Beh, credo che adesso dobbiamo trovare un posto prima della scadenza' lei dice ... che io traduco come 'la cosa dei sei mesi era solo un'altra prova della vostra volontà e davvero non aveva alcuna importanza, solo che non avevo voglia di guardare attraverso il calendario correttamente' .

Trova una data nel calendario dopo sprecare altri 15 minuti per spiegare al suo collega quello che è successo (per nessuna ragione , sprecando un totale di 30 minuti, moltiplicato per tuttavia molte decine di persone erano ancora in attesa all'esterno). Sicuro di nuovo quindi.

Non ho idea di cosa succederà in aprile, quando vado a dare il mio giuramento. Immagino qualcosa di troppo surreale per anticipare come sempre è con questo ufficio. Io non so nemmeno chi sta per diventare un cittadino ... Jessica o Jessica Pearl .

Dovrò cambiare tutti i miei documenti? Forse ... forse no . Forse mi limiterò a stare due persone per il resto della mia vita . Voglio dire, una volta che sei clonato giusto? Questo è avuto modo di avere alcuni vantaggi ... anche solo con la bureocrazia.

 Jess

---
Liking buonaserababy?  I'd love to hear from you! Now you can follow in so many ways!





No comments :

Post a Comment